What’s with the nausea?
It’s not unusual for some nausea when consuming magic mushrooms, in fact it’s a wide-spread commonality. If you’ve ever been curious about the science behind the nausea brought on by psilocybin, here’s a quick explanation.
As I’m sure you’re well aware, gnawing down on dried mushrooms can be a bit tough. This is one of the main reasons behind why magic mushrooms can be difficult to consume, the tough cell walls of the fungi that are mostly made up of what’s called the chitin molecule. When I tell you that this molecule also is what makes the external skeleton of some insects and crustaceans it’s no wonder why shrooms are a challenge to digest. The difficulty in breaking down these molecules can cause immune responses which then cause nausea.
So how can you make the magic mushrooms go down easier?
- A lot. Making sure you chew your magic mushrooms well before ingesting will mean less stress on your stomach.
- Make a tea out of your shrooms, it’s one of the easiest ways to ingest them, and you can make it a bit tastier by adding some honey and/or ginger.
- Make a smoothie! This is better for masking the taste. Crush your magic mushrooms up and blend it into your smoothie. Be mindful that having any sort of citrus while intensify the trip, so choose your ingredients wisely.
- Lemon tekking for the more experienced, involves grinding up your shrooms and mix them with lemon juice. This is not for the faint of heart, mind or spirit as the acidic nature of the lemon breaks down the psilocybin making for a more intense trip.
- Take it as a pill and forego the chewing and taste altogether. Companies such as Aloha and Neuro Botanicals offer shrooms in the form of a pill that can be easily swallowed with some water.
However you decide to take your magic mushrooms, it’s important to look at other variables that exist outside the method of intake itself. Some of these include your personal physiological makeup, metabolism, how hydrated you are and the dosage at play. Trip mindfully and know you can always add more later!